Monday, February 15, 2010

Do ridiculous bets count as an adventure?

I know better, but I did it anyway. I made a very ridiculous wager with someone when I knew I probably would lose.

We headed to the northwoods this weekend. Going to a cabin in the northwoods is just a very good excuse to do absolutely nothing for the weekend without feeling guilty. The first day we did exactly that, absolutely nothing. And I loved it. All I did was read magazines. Well o.k. the first thing was to grab a bottle of beer and then read magazines. The kids love goofing around with their cousins and playing in the snow. I enjoy watching the kids out the window from my comfy spot on the couch. I guess I should be a little concerned as they careen down the hill in their sled right onto the lake, but if snowmobiles can go on the lake, they must be fine. Plus the exercise back up the hill is good for them.

The second day started out much the same. Well actually I did wait till the afternoon before grabbing a bottle of beer. I also completed my knitting homework and stitched three inches of my hat. It ended up being four inches, but I need to wait till Tuesday to fix that because I have no idea how to unravel the extra inch without losing any stitches.

The snow was beautiful to watch from my comfy spot on the couch, but by early afternoon I did want to go outside for just a bit. No I did not go sledding, nor cross country skiing. I did what most people do in the northwoods. We went snowmobiling. And of course where do you go when snowmobiling. To the bar.

Back at the cabin we decided to turn up the music and play some pool. You would think a simple game of pool would be enough, but no, some people wanted to add a little competition to the game. It all started with one person betting that the loser has to run in their swimsuit outside, down the hill, towards the lake and back up again. O.k. it really started with the loser running naked down the hill to the lake and back, but we luckily amended that bet. It was also added that the loser could run in their boots (it was icy outside and freezing). The game started with one win of the game and then best of 3 and then best of 5. It ended up one person losing by scratching the eight ball. I must add at this point that we were playing sloppy pool, so no official rules to make the game never end. As a very good sport the other person who really should have never won if it wasn't for the scratched eight ball, joined the loser and they both ran down the hill and back.

We all had a good laugh and decided to continue playing without any bets.

"Let's add a wager to this game", my brother-in-law exclaimed.

"I'm fine playing without any bets, thank you." I declared back.

"Oh come on, it's a little more fun to have a challenge to play against", added my spouse.

Since he wasn't playing this set, I'm not sure why he decided it would be fun. I still protested, but I am really bad at peer pressure. Plus, I had a sinking feeling I would lose.

"Fine", I said. And it was decided to play the best of three. I really wasn't in the mood to play all night.

As luck would have it, I lost the first game. Thank goodness I said best of three. My brother-in-law and I played a good second game. However, at the end he shot in his last three balls and was shooting for the eight ball. For some miracle. A miracle for me, he scratched and in went the cue ball.

One to one.

This last game was the determining factor. All went as usual and I was actually winning. I kept thinking, 'thank goodness'. I was in no mood to run outside in my skimpies (I did not bring my swimsuit, there was no hot tub, so why bring them).

"Eight ball in the corner pocket", I pointed to the far right corner. I knew I could do it and felt great. I pulled back my pool stick and ever so slightly, hit the cue ball. I watched as the eight ball went in very nicely into the corner pocket. Bingo.

But wait the cue ball did not do what I expected. It started heading to the other pocket. 'NO', I screamed in my head. And in very slow motion, I watched that damn cue ball fall right into the other corner pocket.

"SCRATCH!" yelled my brother-in-law.

Unbelievable. My spouse got a real kick of me losing.

Since dinner was ready I decided to hold off on my bet until after dinner. But then again, I should just get it over with. And then better yet, everyone is now heading to dinner, so perhaps I will do my run real quick without the whole crew watching. There were quite a few people up at the cabin.

So I ran to the garage, grabbed my boots, headed back down, grabbed my husband's running shorts (I wanted to maintain some dignity) and ran out the door. Was it sneaky to not let anyone know? Sure, but hey the bet didn't say everyone had to watch.

My spouse did watch my escapade to head outside and I thought he would be on my side.

I really, really should have known better.

I made my run and sure enough there was my brother-in-law taking pictures. To top off their fun, the door was locked to come back in.

So there you have it, the adventure of an almost 40 year old, who knew better than to make a bet, standing outside of a glass door, freezing, with my brother-in-law rolling in laughter.

I want to send a big thank you to my sister-in-law for finally opening the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment