Sunday, March 9, 2014

Tackling Sewing

I can't believe it takes me a year before I can get back to my blog. Pretty sad. I've been consumed lately with a new hobby. I have not given up on knitting, but am attempting sewing.

Sewing seemed overwhelming at the beginning, but I actually might have the hang of it now. Perhaps. You would think I would be a natural, since my mom was a seamstress. She studied being a seamstress in Czechoslovakia and brought her skills to the U.S. at a young age. She wished to continue to make her own clothes and create outfits for her soon to be born child (that would be me). She saved up money received from her wedding and purchased a sewing machine. Luckily my dad went along with a sewing machine as a wedding gift. Fast forward 44 years later and she decided her sewing machine should be used a little more often. I was the lucky recipient of the sewing machine.

It is a great machine that works well. However, I sat there staring at the machine wondering what to do now. I knew the functions of the sewing machine, but did not know what to make. Luckily I had a friend that guided me through several projects, a belt, my favorite lounge pants and even a skirt. I still am not sure I can replicate any of these projects on my own. I took a further class to learn the details of sewing, this included starting from the beginning with a store bought pattern and using interfacing, lining, pockets and a zipper.

I found a new item I love to create and sew. Bags. I scroll through an abundance of blogs and admire all the bags created by others. Tote bags, drawstring bags and perhaps one day I'll attempt a duffle bag. My class walked me through a tote bag. I've tampered with sewing, I could do this.

First step, cut the pattern. Second step, attach the pattern to the fabric and cut the fabric. Simple, right. Wait, I need to cut the interfacing and lining as well. And don't forget the pockets. Great, done. Any sewing today. Nope, class is done. My heart sank that I never moved to the sewing machine.

The following week I could feel that the tote bag would be accomplished. I looked at the pattern instructions and knew I could move forward with piecing everything together. Nope, no idea. I guess I needed to iron on the interfacing to the pockets and the front and back of the bag. The big moment finally came, I can move to the sewing machine. I sewed the pockets on the bag. Anything else, no the class was over once again. I think I might spend a little too much time socializing because mind you these are 3 hour classes.

By the third class I was ready to tackle some more. Opened up the instructions of the pattern and still had no idea what they were talking about. I guess I found out these store bought patterns have never changed with the times. They are still the same instructions from the 50s, you would think I could grasp at least something.

My final challenge was the zipper. I learned a certain way from my friend that seemed simple enough. It was Anna Maria Horner's method from her book. As with any new hobby, I have to get some fun books to learn on my own first. I really have to remember that I learn from hands-on knowledge. The instructor for this class had a method for sewing zippers I will never ever ever use again. It might be best for the project, but my patience is limited. Once sewing over the zipper to make an end point. Take out your needle nose pliers and pick out each and every extra zipper prong. One by One. Ok, there might be only six, but I do not seem to have the strength to pull them out or even pulling without fraying the zipper.

After five determined classes, I finished the project. I present my first tote bag with pockets, interfacing, lining and a zipper.

During this adventure of sewing, I enjoyed searching through blogs for the multitude of projects made. The excitement came when I saw the crafty traveler's blog hop. A blog hop of my new favorite project, bags. Thank you to Ellison Lane on bringing these new projects up front.

Perhaps I will tackle a duffle bag now.

1 comment: