Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lazy Athlete

I admit it. I’m a lazy athlete. Of course I use the term loosely since those two words should not be uttered in the same breath. And I’m not really an athlete.

I realized my laziness this morning as I tried to psych myself up to ride my bike to work. The weather is warming up a bit and I try my best to ride my bike spring and fall. As usual, I end up having many excuses (such as it’s too cold in the winter and too hot mid summer). I was actually disappointed it wasn’t raining. I know there are many people that ride year round and don’t use an excuse to not do something. Plus, it’s only four miles, so I need to stop my griping and hop on.

I do want to stay active and really need to find that one activity I like. I definitely do not like running (check out March 2010 blog - Running. Why oh why do I run?). Although as friends gear up for scheduled races, I’m beginning to think, maybe. But I try to remember that giving birth has the same effect (you forget how painful it really is). My kids do have a mile fun run coming up, so I’ll just train for that. Of course I will now have two children at the top of the hill screaming “Come on Mom, can’t you go faster!” (Once again – see blog on Running).

I have always stated that I do love hiking. However, I’m trying to realize if realistically I will enjoy it as I climb hills. Perhaps I’m really a flat level person. I might have to explore what that means. I did hike the Grand Canyon once for a week and camped at the bottom. I try to skip the part of the story where I was only 15. I might aim for that as a goal once again, although I do wonder how my knees will hold up. My husband just trekked down and up the canyon for a week, but my husband is not a lazy athlete. He actually ran the day before and the day after hiking the canyon. He’s prepping himself for a couple of races. I will show my support by cheering on the sidelines, once again thinking maybe.

I have never really been into sports. I played volleyball in school and even played Ultimate Frisbee as an adult, although I lacked many skills. I do enjoy my body step class in the gym. I think the music pumps me up and I can move at a good pace, if I get jiggy with it.

As for now, I will psych myself up for the bike ride home (which does have a slight incline). My motivation will be to not have to go to the gym after work and being able to raise a nice cold one to my semi active accomplishments of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Ingrid! I'm still searching for my "inner athlete" too!

    ReplyDelete