Sunday, March 28, 2010

Running. Why oh why do I run?

Running. I really am not a fan of running. Which is why I try to limit the amount of miles I run? Can I say I'm a runner, if I run only two miles? I still dread the moment of tying my running shoes and heading out the door. Which begs the question, why do I run?

I didn't start running till I was 30. I think I figured it was a free form of exercise. Besides a good pair of running shoes, there's not much else to it. I worked out in the gym in my 20s and still enjoy different types of aerobic classes. However, my husband kept running and only runs as a form of exercise, so I figured why not.

My first challenge was a 5k. I remember being so happy I finished. Of course I was extremely slow, but hey I finished and ran the whole time. Immediately afterwards I ran a 10k and did resort to partial walking, but was still extremely proud of finishing.

Perhaps that is why I run. I hate the beginning and middle, but the end does feel good. You get a burst of energy and you feel great for accomplishing at least something for the day.

I became pregnant right after those first two races that fall. I continued to run slowly, but by 5 months that bouncing belly just annoyed me, so it was back to walking. After I had my son I decided to give it another try and started running again.

Since I am not a fan of running I usually don't go too far. My reward for running is to walk a mile afterwards. Yes, you are calculating correctly, I only run two miles and walk a mile. Some say that walking is a good form of exercise, but I feel that running puts a little extra oomph into it. To keep my motivation going I try to run various 5 k races. The start of the season begins with the Shamrock Shuffle the week of St. Patrick's Day. The motivation for the summer is to train to run a little faster for a 5k race in the fall. And sometimes if I feel adventurous, I'll run the Jingle Bell run in the beginning of December. I am real wimp about the cold, so I've only done that race a couple of times. My husband will run year round and I get a kick out of his icicle eyebrows as he completes a January run. I ran in the winter, but on the good old treadmill inside the warm house. That worked until the belt broke. I blame my husband because he runs extremely fast and wore out the treadmill. Of course it's also my excuse of why I shouldn't run as fast as he does.

I ended up joining a gym again because I needed something for the winter. And I steadily trained for the first race of the season. However, due to my lack of motivation I decided to encourage my son, now 8 1/2, to join me in the race. I figured he wouldn't last the whole 5 k (that's 3.1 miles) and he only has run one mile races. Perfect. He'll run with me and I have the good excuse of walking part of the race.

Now I don't know if you haven't guessed that this plan backfired. We both ran. We both ran up the hills, but after awhile all I heard from the top of the hill...

"Come on Mom, can't you go faster."

No, I can't go faster. We were supposed to walk up the hills, but my son had a lot more energy. We finished the race together and made pretty good time. However, my son says he is running with dad next time.

Yes, I'm done for now. I can go back to my simple two mile runs. But wait. I think I signed up to race with my husband on a team (alright run in the same race several paces behind). What was I thinking? I now have to add another two more miles. I signed up for an 8k.

Well, here's to another race for a runner who hates to run. I just have to remember that it's all worth it when it is completely done. Because that's why I run.

I love the end of a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment